Sunday, July 22, 2007

Meg's Book - Chapter 33 - The Vision

Trivia - An established author with whom I will be attending a writing workshop (Aug 2007) shared information on writing a 1000-word synopsis of one's novel, describing the crisis and climax of the tale.

That's how I realized that the events in the chapter titled "The Virgin" were the climax of the first part of the book (Elvira's story). But I hadn't written it as a climax.

As I transformed the previous chapter to meet the structural needs of my fiction, I felt I needed to add this chapter as well.

The imagery of fire and glass, of Scylla and Charibdis, are present in scripture (Rev 15:2, D&C 130:7) and classical literature.

1 comment:

Okishdu said...

'The Gospel Net' was a term that came to mind as I read 'The Vision'. When I finished reading your new rendition of 'The Virgin' I wondered if it wouldn't be best for Elvira to tell both Johnathan and Emma of the circumstances, but now I think it might be just as well to accept their mutual sacrifices without further disturbance. If Jonathan were informed that Elvira were still a virgin after spending the night with Joseph, albeit in continued chastity, it might be more disturbing to him than the continuing belief that she was Joseph's in deed. As for Emma, her willing acceptance might be somehow diminished by learning the fact. So if Elvira saves the information for a future moment with Jonathan, no problem. As you have pictured it, all is in balance and in agreement with the revelation.

About Me

Mother, Physicist, Manager, Author, Genealogist